The Company’s legal team is approximately 55 strong, including attorneys, paralegals, food safety and regulatory professionals and others. Based primarily in Rosemont, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago), the Company has five regional hubs throughout the United States, in Atlanta, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Seattle. The legal team’s mission is to advance business objectives through innovative legal partnerships. We are focused on building the team’s reputation as a valued business partner by displaying leadership, arming our business partners with knowledge, creating brand ambassadors, and shifting the corporate mindset. We create value by identifying and acting on business opportunities, and lead the organization in identifying, anticipating and managing regulatory and business risks. We are a dynamic high-performing team and we are looking for new members who will bring excellent judgment, pragmatism, optimism, humility and a sense of humor to our mix.
Commercial Counsel will provide legal support to internal clients relating to commercial transactions within US Foods, including drafting and negotiating agreements, maintenance of the Company’s intellectual property portfolio, and guidance in the context of relevant laws and corporate policies. The responsibilities require direct interactions with internal clients and external parties. The candidate must have the ability to handle complex legal issues, think critically, and work both independently and collaboratively.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review and interpret complex contracts and other legal documents, while applying a working knowledge of relevant legal subject matters including contract formation, Attorney-Client Privilege and Work Product Doctrines, and Uniform Commercial Code.
- Review, draft and negotiate form and non-form non-disclosure agreements, form vendor agreements, form customer agreements, form intellectual property licensing agreements and other similar type agreements based on assessment of the Company’s risk tolerances and key initiatives.
- Draft standard legal documents (e.g., demand letters, cease-and-desist letters)
- Establish a strong rapport and working relationship with the Company’s business teams in order to deliver effective and high-quality legal services in support of business initiatives.
- Engage in cross-training with other team members on the Commercial Legal Team to support succession planning, flexibility in allocation of resources, and team growth.
- Perform other duties, including special projects, as may be assigned from time to time.
- Undergraduate degree and Juris Doctor degree with academic achievement from highly regarded, nationally recognized and accredited institutions
- Licensed to practice law and in good standing under the Bar of any state that enables admission to practice as in-house counsel
- Minimum four (4) years related transactional experience in contracts required; prior in-house experience strongly preferred
- Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated, and capable of working independently with minimal attorney oversight
- Must demonstrate outstanding judgment in issue spotting, risk assessment, and driving problems to resolution.
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstration of strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks based upon relevant risk assessment and business objectives.
- Demonstration of superior oral and written communication skills, including the ability to express, whether written or oral, complex legal issues in clear, concise plain language
- Able to prioritize and manage multiple projects, to stay calm and focused, and work successfully in a fast-paced environment under time constraints.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to inspire trust and confidence with stakeholders at all levels.
- Minimal overnight travel as needed.