Arena Pharmaceuticals is a global biopharmaceutical company with a robust portfolio of potentially first-in-class/best-in-disease assets across multiple therapeutic areas. This is an exciting time to join Arena as we transition from clinical-stage company to commercial enterprise. With three strategic hubs in San Diego, Boston, and Zug, Switzerland, Arena boasts proven leaders, a growing multinational team, and a broad pipeline of drug candidates with clinical data readouts expected in 2021 and 2022.
Arena is seeking an experienced commercial contracting attorney with the drive to be part of our transformation as we continue executing global clinical trials of multiple compounds in a variety of indications and prepare for commercialization.
The Commercial Contracts Counsel will have the opportunity to tackle a broad range of legal matters while focusing on commercial contracting needs across various projects and programs. In supporting the organization’s contracting needs, the Commercial Contracts Counsel will focus on drafting, negotiating, and managing processes related to agreements for services, consulting, technologies, and other critical business needs.
The Commercial Contracts Counsel will also analyze legal issues and provide guidance as a trusted partner to the Commercial, Medical Affairs, Market Access, Finance, and Strategic Sourcing & Procurement functions, while frequently collaborating with other key stakeholders and functions.
This role will report to the Senior Corporate Counsel, who is a member of Arena’s Compliance, Legal, and IP Senior Leadership Team.What You Will Dive Into:
- Lead the drafting, review, and negotiation of a wide range of contracts typical for a clinical-stage biotech preparing for commercialization, with a focus on agreements for services, consulting, HCP and payer engagements, technology/licensing, partnerships, 3PL, manufacturing, research and collaboration.
- Advise internal teams on contract interpretation, risks, and dispute resolution matters through clear, practical, and business-oriented guidance.
- Maintain and update contract database and leverage other technologies to optimize contract negotiation and contract lifecycle management processes
- Assist other contract attorneys in building in-house template library, updating playbooks to reflect new laws and trends, and maintaining a documented system of policies and procedures to ensure the consistent, timely delivery of high-quality agreements that balance risk mitigation with business needs.
- Establish strong, collaborative relationships with key stakeholders from all internal departments and provide trainings to employees on Arena contracting policies, processes, and best practices.
- Collaborate with Strategic Sourcing & Procurement, Finance, Accounting, Legal, and Compliance in operationalizing Source to Pay strategies and related contract functions.
What We Expect:
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an ABA-accredited law school and active membership in at least one state bar
- 5+ years of relevant experience drafting and negotiating contracts at a law firm or pharmaceutical/biotech company, with strong preference for 1-2+ years managing global commercial, market access, HCP and/or payer agreements.
- Thorough knowledge of pharmaceutical industry and associated agreements, including commonly negotiated terms related to confidentiality, intellectual property, liability, insurance, regulatory & compliance issues, and data protection/data privacy issues
- Experience in contract lifecycle process development, process improvement, and technology implementation
- Highly collaborative with the ability to deliver both independently and as a teammate; management experience with ability and desire to lead projects and manage teams
- Self-motivated and solution-oriented with ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment with a high-volume workload
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – must be able to deliver clear legal guidance in a digestible manner
- A curious mind and willingness to thoughtfully challenge norms while providing viable alternative solutions
- Ability and willingness to travel