Today, we have more than 65,000 employees with the strength to help you grow in any career direction you want, whether in our stores, distribution centers, manufacturing facilities or our Midwest corporate offices. It's your future, maybe it starts with Meijer.
Please review the job profile below and apply today!
The Meijer Legal Department’s mission is to listen and partner with our fellow Meijer team members to achieve their business goals using proactive, strategic, and creative solutions. Our Legal Intern will support the Meijer inhouse attorneys in fulfilling this mission.
The successful candidate will learn from a variety of practical, real-world inhouse counsel experiences and participation in the Meijer corporate enterprise-wide summer internship program:
- Rotate through the Legal Department, supporting attorneys in each of the practice groups: commercial transactions and intellectual property, corporate governance, real estate, labor and employment, litigation, and regulatory/compliance/operations
- Conduct legal research
- Draft, review and interpret legal documents and materials
- Attend and participate in internal meetings and provide input on various Meijer initiatives
- Assist with special projects
- Learn about contemporary retail business strategy and tactics, as well as the complexities of providing risk-tolerant legal advice in a fast-paced environment
- Meet and collaborate with summer interns serving roles in other areas of the Meijer business, like Merchandising, Retail Operations, Supply Chain, Information and Technology Services, Finance and Human Resources
- First-year JD candidate currently enrolled in an accredited U.S. law school.
- Interested in exposure to a corporate inhouse legal practice
- Mature, independent thinker, with strong critical reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Self-starter, able to manage ambiguity and possessing courage to try new things
- Capable of building new relationships and possessing emotional intelligence
- Comfort in a corporate environment, including among senior business executives
- Dedicated to exceeding customer expectations
- A passion to compete
- Excellent communication skills
Microsoft Office experience, with the flexibility and desire to learn additional technology skills for using varied systems and tools