RAICES is seeking a motivated attorney to work in the Children’s Program in our San Antonio, Texas office.
The Staff Attorney will provide legal services for unaccompanied immigrant juveniles in the San Antonio area and surrounding counties in ORR shelters. The Staff Attorney will provide legal representation to children in removal proceedings before the U.S. Executive Office for Immigration Review as well as represent children seeking immigration relief before USCIS. Core responsibilities will include screening unaccompanied children for legal relief, direct legal representation, pro bono attorney outreach, mentoring on behalf of unaccompanied immigrant children, and managing a legal assistant. All RAICES staff participates in data input and reporting, stakeholder relationship building and other duties, and training colleagues and community stakeholders as required. All Children's Program Staff within RAICES are expected to drive or make travel arrangements to and from immigration Court located in San Antonio, Asylum office in Houston, and district courts in Bexar and surrounding counties on an as needed basis. RAICES employees, especially those working with children, must be respectful of all gender identities and expressions, sexual orientation and reproductive rights and be willing and able to offer legal counsel on issues related to those identities and body autonomy in a way that is free from judgment and deferential to the client's expressed interests.
RAICES is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency that promotes justice by providing free and low-cost immigration legal services to underserved immigrant children, families and refugees. With legal services, social programs, bond assistance, and an advocacy team focused on changing the narrative around immigration in this country, RAICES is operating on the national front lines of the fight for immigrant rights.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Handle caseload providing direct representation to unaccompanied immigrant children in immigration and state court proceedings;
- Supervise a legal assistant team in conducting legal screenings and providing other required legal services to unaccompanied immigrant children placed in shelters by the federal Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR);
- Conduct thorough intakes for clients on various forms of immigration relief including, but not limited to, Asylum and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status;
- Pursue an aggressive parallel litigation strategy, preserving every possible argument for appeal;
- Screen clients for trauma, abuse and trafficking using a client centered, trauma informed approach,that is respectful of all races, nationalities, political opinions, religious beliefs, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations and reproductive rights ;
- Make client referrals for additional services, as appropriate;
- Assume administrative responsibilities including timekeeping, case management and other tasks related to program compliance.
- Texas Bar member
- Fluent in English and Spanish (written and verbal);
- Experience in immigration law preferred;
- Experience in family law preferred;
- Able to travel to Houston, Austin and surrounding counties as needed;
- Deeply believe that racial equity and social justice are important and continually willing and able to hear, reflect, and act on feedback re: identity and equity with the aim to learn.
- Experience working with children is a plus.
This position requires completion of the National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW) check, as well as a state criminal background checks. Presence on the National Sex Offender Public Website is a bar to service. Other criminal history does not necessarily disqualify you for service.