The State Bar of Arizona is currently hiring for a full time, Bar Counsel.
This position is eligible for our comprehensive benefits package that includes; medical, dental, vision, paid time off, 401k and employer match, and so much more!
Under minimal supervision, the Bar Counsel performs the duties set forth in the Supreme Court Rules.
Represents the State Bar in discipline, disability, reinstatement and unauthorized practice of law matters, in performing the following functions:
- Conducting investigations
- Drafting and filing pleadings
- Conducting discovery including taking and defending depositions
- Conducting hearings before the Presiding Disciplinary Judge, Hearing Panels and in Superior Court as necessary
- Preparing proposed findings of fact, conclusions of law and recommendations for trial
- Preparing pleadings, motions, and responses in disciplinary proceedings.
- Making appearances before the Attorney Discipline Probable Cause Committee and the Supreme Court
- Drafting appellate briefs and special actions; arguing appeals before the Supreme Court
- Conducting all aspects of investigation and discipline of Legal Paraprofessionals and Alternative Business Structures in accordance with the rules
- Makes recommendations of disposition and form of discipline
- Prescreens and screens charges submitted to the State Bar
- Conducts investigations into alleged misconduct or incapacity
- Works with the Compliance Monitor in monitoring probation and diversion cases
- Works with CLE in developing and presenting seminars and CLE programs
- Provides guidance and direction to Independent Bar Counsel
- Exercises judgment in assessing facts and evaluating appropriate dispositions in cases involving specific legal practice areas. Exercises judgment in handling complex litigation and applying discipline experience in appropriate exercise of prosecutorial discretion
- In coordination with the Lead Legal Secretary, provides guidance and direction to assigned legal secretary in an effective and timely manner.
- Performs all other related duties, as assigned
Education and/or Experience Required
J.D required. Have a minimum of five (5) years successful practical legal experience including litigation/trial experience. Active member in good standing of the State Bar of Arizona.
Skills and Abilities
- Performs all duties in compliance with internal procedures and external regulations. Is responsible for bringing compliance issues to the attention of management.
- Familiarity with Rules of Professional Conduct and Supreme Court Rules.
- Excellent legal research and writing skills.
- Possess the ability to work effectively with staff, Board, Supreme Court, legislation, members, and the public.
- Exercise excellent judgment with action to be taken on cases.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to listen.
- Must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Position requires demonstrated professionalism.
- Strong attention to detail and well organized.
- Flexibility in schedule to meet business needs.
- Must be a self-starter, able to work independently as well as work effectively with teams.
- Ability to effectively mentor staff.
Model the behaviors expected of all SBA employees by:
- Cultivating a positive work environment.
- Prioritizing and setting manageable goals.
- Being efficient with time at work.
- Communicating effectively with management, staff, members, clients, visitors, and the public.
- Being flexible and taking criticism constructively.
- Maintaining the highest ethical standards.
Microsoft windows environment with Office Suite to include formatting and production of word processing documents, spreadsheets, and reports.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must have and maintain a valid Driver’s License, maintain automobile insurance coverage and have access to an automobile. Member in good standing with The State Bar of Arizona.
Regular attendance is required. Additional hours including weekends may be required on a regular basis to fulfill duties of position. At times, individual must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with ability to handle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, ability to adjust focus, and manual dexterity in combination with eye/hand coordination.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Other functions may be assigned, and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.