This Is A National Guard Title 32 Excepted Service Position.
This National Guard position is for a ATTORNEY-ADVISOR (GENERAL), Position Description Number D0291P01 and is part of the PA Command Admin Office, National Guard.
1 or more Position(s) may be hired against this Announcement.
Position may lead to permanent assignment without further advertisement.
As an ATTORNEY-ADVISOR (GENERAL), GS-0905-12, you will be responsible for the effective management and accomplishment of the day to day legal workload necessary to provide legal services and support to the Adjutant General, staff elements of both the Army and Air National Guard and subordinate units, as well as the United States Property and Fiscal Officer for the State and his staff. Provide professional legal advice and opinions, both written and oral, on issues arising from federal laws and regulations or concerning the federal mission of the National Guard. Serve as litigation point of contact for the State. Act as the State Adjutant General's representative in third-party proceedings under the Federal Labor-Management Relations Statute. Reviews technician collective bargaining agreements for legal sufficiency. Serve as claims officer for the State. Prepare claims reports for the processing of claims by the appropriate claims office. Upon designation by the State Adjutant General, participate as Staff Judge Advocate to the Convening Authority in State National Guard courts-martial and as legal adviser or counsel in administrative board proceedings. Review Reports of Survey, Line of Duty determinations and similar administrative proceedings for legal sufficiency. Review contracts, procurement actions and real property matters involving federal funds for legal sufficiency. Upon designation by the State Adjutant General, participate in negotiations involving contracts, acquisitions, and real property matters. Prepare and present legal training for judge advocates and for other personnel as required. Act as legal assistance officer for members of the National Guard of the State. Coordinate activities with part-time judge advocates to insure effective utilization of part-time JAG officers. Perform other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- National Guard Membership Is Required. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
Appointment Status: Excepted
This is a Dual Status Excepted Service Technician position in the Pennsylvania Army National Guard.
Area Of Consideration:
Non- Bargaining Position
- AOC 1: NG Employees working at the location specified
- AOC 2: NG Employees of the Pennsylvania National Guard
- AOC 3: All Service Members of the Pennsylvania National Guard (to include Temporary Technicians)
- AOC 4: Service Members currently serving in another branch and are willing to become members of the Pennsylvania National Guard
- AOC 5: All others willing to become members of the Pennsylvania National Guard
Temporary Promotion/Reassignment: Currently employed permanent technician selected will occupy this position as a Promotion not to exceed or Reassignment as appropriate in their present status.
Indefinite: Indefinite employment status pertains to applicant nominated, who are not a currently employed permanent technician. Indefinite appointments may acquire permanent status depending upon future force structure requirements; indefinite appointments do not serve a trial period. Indefinite appointments may be separated when their services are no longer needed or when funding is no longer available via a 30-day termination notice.
Assignment to a compatible military position is not required for application but will be required if selected for appointment.
DOD FM LEVEL 2 CERTIFICATION REQUIRED WITHIN 2 YEARS OF HIRE
Supervisor for this position is COL Jorgensen
General Experience: Must have a law degree (LLB or J.D) from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association and a Bar Membership. Must be an active member in good standing of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico Bar.
Specialized Experience: Applicant must indicate 12 months work experiences as a professional Attorney Advisor. Knowledgeable of the Army National Guard and Air National Guard mission requirements. Competent in providing legal interpretation and guidance to managers and senior leaders on United States Code Title 32 § 709, National Guard Program. Able to recognize and identify complex constitutional, state-federal, and military-civilian jurisidictional issues frequently associated with the organization and administration of theTitle 32 National Guard, and articulate them in the appropriate forum or context. Competent in providing legal interpretation and guidance to managers and senior leaders on 10 United States Code, and the state equivalent to the federal Uniform Code of Military Justice. Experienced in conducting legal research in connection with cases pending administrative hearings, trials before courts of original jurisdiction, or arguments in appellate courts.
Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies: Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements will be further evaluated by the nominating supervisor based on the following competencies considered essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Ability to advise staff on interpretation of federal statutes and regulations, ensures that legal advice, consultation, and collaboration is furnished in a timely manner
- Ability to provide advisory, guidance, consultation, and collaboration to Commander, staff, and supervisors
- Ability to formulate Wing legal policy and its execution; legal representation; legal initiatives; constitutional, civil, criminal, labor law; a full spectrum of expert legal advice to Wing leaders
- Ability to provide professional legal advice and opinions on issues arising from federal laws and regulations and their application to the National Guard or concerning the federal mission of the National Guard, including homeland defense and security, emergency response, and application of state/territory compacts
Series GS-0905 applicants must have the capacity to perform essential functions and operations without risk to themselves or others. Applicants must meet the military skill classification, military experience qualification, and military physical and mental health requirements as applicable and directed by the Department of Defense, the Department of the Army and/or the Department of the Air Force. Prior to appointment, the selected candidate must provide the following:
- A current and completed medical physical with a cleared drug test;
- Normal color vision as defined in Army or Air Force Medical Examinations and Standards; and,
- No record of claustrophobia or claustrophobic tendencies.
No record of conviction by civilian courts of offenses listed in the applicable Service Military Justice regulations.
Must not have any military disciplinary action (Article 15 or Court-Martial) on military records for engaging in an unprofessional or inappropriate relationship as defined in applicable DoD Instructions concerning Army and Air Force Professional and Unprofessional Relationships.
Must not have any Unfavorable Information Files, civil convictions (other than minor traffic violations), or open Inspector General investigations.
*Note: Accessioning into this position is contingent upon verification of Secret Security Clearance
Quality Of Experience: Length of time is not of itself qualifying. Candidates' experience should be evaluated on the basis of duties performed rather than strictly on the rank of the individual; however, established compatibility criteria/assignments must be followed. The applicant's record of experience, training, and education must show possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to fully perform the duties of the position to be filled.
Special Note: Per the Labor Relations Management Agreement if there are more than 15 qualified applicants for each position, by category, a KSA board will be convened in accordance with Section 17.8 of the LMRA.
PCS Statement: Permanent Change Of Station Costs Will Not Be Paid For This Position.
The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs is a diverse team of professionals who strengthen our commonwealth by serving our veterans and partners while preparing military personnel to safeguard our way of life. We do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
You must meet the following education requirements to qualify for this position: For entry into the Army National Guard JAG Corps/ Attorney-Adviser, it is mandatory to have a Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor degree in law issued by an an ABA- accredited law school; and, must be admitted to practice law in the highest court of any U.S. state, commonwealth, territory or the District of Columbia.
As an Officer in the Army National Guard JAG Corps, must have completed the 14-week Judge Advocate General Basic Course.
You must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.
Kindly refer to the below link for a detailed description of the job - https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599117200