About the Position: This position is with the Office of General Counsel, Deputy General Counsel -Operations and Personnel, located at the Pentagon, Arlington Virginia.
If you are currently serving in a permanent, competitive service appointment in the Federal service, and are selected for this Excepted Service position, the appointment will remove you from the competitive service while you occupy the position.Responsibilities:
- Serves as Associate Deputy General Counsel (Operations and Personnel), under the generaldirection of the Deputy General Counsel (Operations and Personnel).
- Represents the Army's legal and policy position to top level officials within DA, DoD, the Executive Branch, and the Congress.
- Provides legal advice as to the organization and functions of the Headquarters, Department of the Army (HQDA); Army Commands, Army Service Component Commands and other commands and elements of the Department.
- Identifies legal issues, performs legal review and research, and prepares legal opinions, usually final, providing analyses, solutions, and recommendations concerning such problems.
- Drafts and develops regulations and other policy and program guidance to implement the Army's responsibilities.
- Reviews, researches and provides opinions on a wide variety of complex policy and legal matters of national importance, including First Amendment issues; equal employment opportunity and anti-discrimination.
- Negotiates, authors, and reviews memoranda of understanding and agreement between other federal agencies, states, and DoD or the Army.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel up to 10% for this position.Requirements:Conditions of Employment:
Appointment may require a suitability/fitness determination.
A two year trial/probationary period may be required.
This position may require occasional temporary duty (TDY) travel.
This position is designated Critical-Sensitive and requires a Top Secret security clearance.
This is a testing designated position. Personnel are required to sign DA Form 5019-R, must pass drug screening prior to hiring and will be subject to periodic and random drug testing thereafter IAW AR 600-85 and DODD 2010.9.Qualifications:Who May Apply
: US Citizens
Applicants will be evaluated to determine if they meet the minimum qualification requirements and on the extent to which their application shows possession of the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) associated with the position.KSA's
:(1) Skill in identifying and researching highly technical and complex legal issues.
(2) Skill in providing legal, technical, and policy guidance.
(3) Ability to effectively, professionally, and ethically manage a heavy caseload of clients with complex legal needs.
(4) Skill in identifying and researching highly technical and complex legal issues involving Operations and Personnel law issues.
(5) Skill in providing legal, technical, and policy guidance in the areas of Operations and Personnel Law.
6) Ability to effectively, professionally, and ethically manage a heavy caseload of clients with complex legal needs
(7) Skill in providing legal advice and support to Operations and/or Personnel Law for multiple years.Qualification Requirements
: Applicants must meet the following minimum qualification requirements:Education
: An applicant must have successfully completed a full course of study in a school of law accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) and have the first professional law degree (LLB or JD).Bar membership
: Applicant must currently be a member in good standing of the bar of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Document should be dated within three months of the date the application is submitted.Experience
: Applicant must have 3 years of professional legal experience, acquired after being admitted to the bar, commensurate with the duties and responsibilities of the position.Graduation from an ABA-Accredited Law School in the top 25% of the class or an advanced law degree such as a Master of Laws (LLM) may substitute for one year of the required professional legal experience.Veterans Preference Information
: There is no formal rating system for applying veteran's preference to attorney appointments in the excepted service; however, the Department of Defense considers veteran's preference eligibility a positive factor for attorney hiring. Applicants eligible for veteran's preference must include that information in their cover letter or resume and attach supporting documents (e.g., DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to their submissions. Although the point-preference system is not used, applicants eligible to claim a 10-point preference must submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, and supporting documentation required for the specific type of preference claimed. The SF 15 will identify the supporting documentation required along with a list of the types of 10-point preference. The SF 15 is available from the OPM at https://www.gsa.gov/portal/forms/type/sf/.
: If currently employed as an attorney by the Federal Government must have completed 52 weeks at the next lower grade level within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement, or previously served at the same or higher grade as the position being filled. Time-in-grade may be waived for current federal employees at management's discretion. Submission of most recent SF-50 is required.Education:
Please refer to Qualifications section for information on the education requirements for this position.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Kindly refer to the below link for a detailed description of the job - https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/596080900