Essential Job Functions
The City of Houston Legal Department is seeking an energetic, motivated and focused attorney to prosecute in the City of Houston Municipal Courts. Experience in criminal or municipal law is appreciated, but not required.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Representing the State of Texas and City of Houston in Municipal Court prosecutions of Class C misdemeanor cases arising under City Ordinances and other laws of the State of Texas before both judges and juries
- Performing citizen intake and direct-filing of cases
- Researching and analyzing ordinances, statutes, case law, administrative opinions, rules of procedure and evidence and drafting legal memoranda thereon
- Interacting extensively with the public, other members of the Bar, judges, court personnel, police officers and inspectors
- Conducting, reviewing and preparing discovery
- Representing the City of Houston and State of Texas in civil and administrative hearings
- Researching, analyzing and drafting criminal complaints
- Performing legal research and preparing formal and informal legal opinions regarding criminal and municipal law
- Counseling the city's departments about city ordinances and state statutes
- Assisting the City Attorney and others with special projects such as drafting City Attorney Legal Opinions
- Educational: Requires a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from an American Bar Association accredited college of law.
- Experience: No experience is required.
- License: Must be a member of the Texas State Bar.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Above average academic achievement preferred
- Familiarity with Texas criminal statutes
- Familiarity with municipal or public law
- Proficiency with Word, Outlook, Excel and the use of technology in the practice of law
- Must be willing to work flexible schedules including days, nights and some weekends
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**