Are you interested in working at the intersection of technology, law enforcement, national security, privacy, and international law? Microsoft has an immediate opening for an experienced Attorney to work on its Law Enforcement and National Security Team providing advice and guidance to a global team responsible for addressing government demands for customer data. The job will include supporting operational decision making as well as the development and implementation of Microsoft’s efforts to promote the privacy interests of its customers by modernizing surveillance laws in the U.S. and other key jurisdictions around the world.
This position is part of the Customer Security and Trust organization within Corporate, External and Legal Affairs (CELA). Customer Security and Trust is comprised of multiple teams responsible for Microsoft’s public policy and compliance practices relating to cybersecurity, cybercrime, critical infrastructure protection, security engineering, online safety, and lawful access.
The preferred location for this position will be Redmond, Washington. However, we are flexible to incumbents being based in our West Coast hubs.
- Advising Microsoft’s operational compliance teams responsible for responding to legal demands from governments around the world
- Conducting and/or coordinating legal research through outside counsel, as well as interpreting and applying risk-based assessments of how legal requirements throughout the world affect Microsoft’s current and future software and service offerings
- Engaging with government authorities and policy makers on matters related to Microsoft’s compliance with government legal demands to address operational and policy questions, conduct training and outreach, and maintain working relationships with domestic and international law enforcement
- Working with Microsoft’s in-house litigation team and outside counsel on cases related to law enforcement and national security data access matters
- Contributing to the development of processes and procedures designed to ensure timely and efficient compliance with legal obligations consistent with Microsoft’s customer commitments and global lawful access principles
- Supporting our policy teams as they work to advance surveillance reform initiatives around the world, addressing legal questions as they arise
- Reviewing and providing advice on legislative proposals from governments around the world that may implicate Microsoft’s obligations to produce data to government authorities
- Providing advice to product engineering groups to help them understand the implications of product and service architecture and design, as well as ensuring they understand and can comply with applicable legal requirements
- Advising clients across the company including government affairs, product teams, engineering teams and business leaders regarding global developments in surveillance and security laws
- Ensuring effective customer communications related to Microsoft’s practices, policies and procedures for responding to government requests for user data
- J.D. degree from an accredited U.S. law school, or equivalent non-U.S. law degree
- Minimum seven (7) years professional experience dealing with the laws related to government surveillance including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA) and the Foreign
- Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) and equivalents from other jurisdictions
- Knowledge of and experience with the criminal investigative process
- Top Secret security clearance, or an ability and willingness to obtain one, is strongly preferred
- Motivate and lead others, including on matters where you have no direct oversight or management responsibilities over those whose assistance/participation is required
- Ability to understand customer requirements and corporate strategies, and ensure your work is advancing both
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively to devise strategies that advance customers’ and clients’ interests, prioritize among competing responsibilities, and devise long-term strategies
- Ability to communicate complicated legal and policy advice clearly and succinctly to a variety of different audiences (internal and external) from a diverse set of disciplines (lawyers, project managers, engineers, business executives, government officials, policymakers, academics, reporters) and cultures
- Willingness to experiment and try new things and learn quickly from failure and/or mistakes.
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment and working on cutting-edge legal and policy matters where ambiguity is the rule rather than the exception
- Ability and willingness to adapt quickly as the legal, policy and factual landscape continues to evolve
- Familiarity with internet-based communications technology, cloud services, and Microsoft’s products and services are desired
The successful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen