Job Description and Duties
*This position is pending budget approval.
This position can be located at the Sacramento Headquarters Office, Sacramento Regional Office, Berkeley Regional Office, Chatsworth Regional Office, or Cypress Regional Office.
The Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) provides legal support to the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC). Under the general direction of an Assistant Chief Counsel, the Attorney III is responsible for providing legal advice to all Department programs, the Director, Chief Deputy Director, and Deputy Directors regarding the legal issues involving or affecting DTSC, primarily with respect to contracts and grants, including support the needs of Equitable Brownfield Redevelopment Grant. The Attorney III works with broad discretion and independence with a minimum of supervision and is expected to be an expert in the more complex area of law within a departmental legal program. The Attorney III may act in a lead capacity over the other Attorneys.
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement.
The California Department of Human Resources (CalHR) has implemented the requirement that all state employees attest to their vaccination status. Employees are required to indicate whether they are vaccinated, unvaccinated, or if they choose not to disclose their vaccination status. As an additional health and safety standard to protect the state workforce and the public it serves, CalHR is also implementing COVID-19 testing of all state employees working on site (including field sites) if they are unvaccinated, vaccinated but choose not to provide documentation, or choosing not to disclose their vaccination status. Any employee seeking exemption from COVID-19 testing or wearing a face covering must provide evidence of vaccination. This requirement is subject to change depending upon updated Federal, State, and/or local requirements and guidance.
The position(s) require(s) a(n) California Bar License. You will be required to provide a copy of your license prior to being hired.
To be considered for this position, you must include the following in the “Examination or Job Title(s) For Which You Are Applying” section.
- JC #: 270568, Position #: 810-410-5795-403, RPA #: 22-HQ-OLC-017
- The basis of your eligibility (i.e. list eligibility, transfer, surplus, re-employment, reinstatement, SROA)
- Emailed or faxed applications will not be accepted.
- Applications with “See Resume” will not be considered.
- Do not submit the "Equal Employment Opportunity" questionnaire (page 10) with your completed STD 678.
Statement of Economic Interest
Selected candidates are subject to rules imposed by a Conflict of Interest Code and require filing a Statement of Economic Interest (Form 700) within 30 days of appointment and once per year.
You will need to take and pass an examination for the Attorney III to establish list eligibility prior to a job offer. To get on the current certified employment list for the classification, please search for the exam posted here.
In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
- Professional experience related to grant administration and grant acquisition.
- Civil or administrative litigation experience related to grants.
- Professional experience related to procurement of State or Federal contracts.
- Professional experience related to public works contracts requirements.
- Civil or administrative litigation experience related to contract disputes or contract challenges.
- Experience drafting policies, procedures, and guidance documents.
Kindly refer to the below link for a detailed description of the job - https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=270568