- JD degree or equivalent degree.
- 3 years of experience as a practicing patent attorney.
- Admitted to the bar where the role is located and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law (e.g., have registered in-house status).
- Admitted or eligible to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, or another patent office.
About the Job
- 5 years of experience as a patent attorney supporting a technology company.
- Experience targeting/analyzing claims with respect to first- and third-party products, generating claim charts, and evaluating portfolios for read readiness.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to develop productive relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Demonstrated contributions to the culture of your workplace and commitment to diversity and inclusion
Our Patent team is an invigorating, inspiring team of innovators and attorneys who are passionate about future technologies and excited about resolving their ensuing legal challenges. As a member of this team, you have the unique opportunity to develop and implement Google's strategy to protect, defend and capture the value of its patents. You dive into varied and interesting tasks that include patent-related protection, licensing, dispute resolution (pre-litigation and litigation), acquisition, deals and policy work. You work with engineers, product developers, executives and other legal team members, and are responsible for managing outside counsel.
Google’s Patent Team is focused on defending Google’s ability to build innovative products that serve Google’s users. As part of this team, our Patent Product Area Team supports Google’s Devices & Services business areas.
We operate at the intersection of cutting edge technology and cutting edge patent law, providing an invigorating, inspiring, and challenging work environment, with a close-knit team of innovators and attorneys who are passionate about Google’s core mission to “organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful.”
As an attorney on this team, you will focus primarily on providing patent support to Google Nest as well as establishing expertise on protecting against copycat products. You’ll be involved with setting patent strategy, developing the patent portfolio, and proactively mitigating patent risk for these product areas. In this role, you’ll work with engineering and product teams, executives, and other legal team members, and you’ll be responsible for managing outside counsel.
20th century laws don't always solve 21st century problems, and Google Legal crafts innovative approaches for handling some of the toughest legal challenges of the information age. Whether you're a patent attorney, an intellectual property expert or an engineer headed to law school, Google Legal lets you take on unanswered legal quandaries and create new precedents. Our innovative services raise challenging questions that demand creative and practical answers. We provide those answers by working at the crossroads of the law and new technology, helping Google build innovative and important products for users around the world.Responsibilities:
- Identify strategic areas for patenting, harvest patentable inventions, evaluate patentability of invention submissions, and build and manage a patent portfolio
- Develop relationships with, and counsel and educate, engineering and business clients on patent-related matters and reducing patent risk
- Set patent strategy for mitigating patent risk in hardware products and related services proactively
- Counsel engineering and business clients on IP sharing and ownership with third-party partners
- Collaborate with commercial counsel to address patent-related issues in commercial deals, and negotiate and draft patent-related provisions in commercial agreements