Zurich North America is looking for an Associate General Counsel, Life, Accident & Health. This position reports to the Chief Legal Officer and the preferred location is our Zurich North American headquarters based in our Schaumburg, IL office but we are open to other locations.
The Associate General Counsel, Life, Accident & Health is responsible for identifying, managing and mitigating legal, regulatory and corporate governance risks, to enable the business to achieve its strategic and commercial goals in accordance with applicable laws and regulations and to protect and preserve Zurich’s tangible and intangible assets. This role provides in-house legal, regulatory and governance advice on key corporate areas which may include Governance, Communications, Investor Relations, IT, Data Protection, Group Operations, Mergers & Acquisitions, Finance, Product Underwriting, Reinsurance, the Business Units and Profit Centers, and Regulatory Affairs.
The Legal Services Division Associate General Counsel will:
- Develop a deep understanding of the business unit’s priorities, opportunities and challenges and how and where Legal Services (all units) can make a positive impact.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with key business unit leaders, functional subject matter experts, and other support unit personnel assigned to the business unit, to ensure the appropriate level of context and knowledge for the provision of effective legal guidance and delivery of problem-solving strategies.
- Serve as the primary entry point of contact for all Legal Services support to the business unit and maintain oversight responsibility for Legal Services delivery as a whole.
- Develop and maintain consultative understanding of the risk landscape, emerging market trends, active legislation and legal precedents to influence, shape and inform the strategic direction of the business unit.
- Proactively collaborate with the business unit leadership team in the development and execution of short-term and long-term strategies by providing legal perspective and partnering to problem-solve and identify creative, compliant solutions.
- Communicate all business unit needs to the appropriate Legal Services team member(s) to secure the necessary resources and ensure timely and accurate support is provided.
- Actively collaborate with Compliance, Risk and Human Resources personnel assigned to or otherwise supporting the business unit to understand and respond to the legal, compliance, risk and human resources issues, coordinating delivery where appropriate.
- Collaborate with Division Counsel peers to share best practices, develop and expand strategic and consultative competencies and maintain a broader understanding of ZNA’s strategic direction.
- Juris Doctor and 12 or more years of experience in the Legal area
- Member of the Bar
- Knowledge of NILS, Lexis or Westlaw
- Insurance industry experience
- Ability to engage, inform and influence decisions at senior levels of the organization
- Ability to work in a team-based, solutions-oriented environment
- Creative problem-solver adept at working in a fast-paced environment and successfully managing competing interests of multiple stakeholders
- Knowledge of the Accident & Health marketplace, including its products such as Group Accident, Occupational Accident, Specialty Health and Travel
- Knowledge of association, employer, and affinity distribution channels and A&H administration
- Knowledge of group insurance laws and the use of trusts
- Knowledge of the life insurance marketplace, including its products such as Traditional Affluent Life, Private Wealth Solutions, and Group Private Placement Products