The Team: The Corporate team unites a variety of functions at Morningstar including design, marketing, finance, quality, human resources, corporate communications, legal, compliance, strategic planning, and technology with the goal of keeping our business running smoothly. Each of these functions plays an essential role in supporting our company’s infrastructure, day-to-day operations, and ongoing strategic initiatives.
Role: Morningstar, Inc., is seeking an attorney with 7+ years of experience as a corporate generalist (preferably, in-house) to draft, review and negotiate contracts for complex commercial transactions and to provide advice and guidance on a variety of other legal matters affecting the operations of Morningstar and its affiliated companies. The ideal candidate has strong negotiating and drafting skills, works well with both internal teams and clients, is well-versed in intellectual property law and comes from the data/financial information industry. A background with ERISA and the Investment Advisors Act of 1940 is desirable, but not required. Competitive in-house salary, plus annual performance bonus. This role is based in Chicago, IL, and reports to Morningstar’s General Counsel.
- Work with Morningstar sales and product management personnel to draft, negotiate and counsel on data, research and SaaS licenses, data aggregation arrangements, redistribution agreements, growth-driven commercial partnerships and other commercial contracts related to the product/services Morningstar makes available to its clients in the United States and abroad.
- Work with Morningstar’s procurement function to review and negotiate data licensing, software, consulting, IT and related contracts with company vendors.
- Work with Morningstar business development, investment advisory and regulatory compliance personnel to draft, negotiate and advise on investment consulting and advisory agreements between certain regulated Morningstar affiliates and their clients.
- Advise on information security, privacy and related issues, including GDPR, the California Consumer Privacy Act and other similar laws.
- Provide practical, decisive guidance to business development, business operations, marketing and finance teams that balances business objectives and legal risk.
- Advise on industry, commercial, IP, privacy, employment and other laws, regulations and developments relating to Morningstar’s worldwide business.
- Provide counsel and logistical support in responding to subpoenas and other governmental orders served on Morningstar.
- As needed, work with Morningstar’s other corporate functions and external counsel in connection with on-going litigation, real estate matters, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring activities and other similar projects.
- Must be admitted to practice law in the State of Illinois
- Must have at least seven years’ experience providing corporate legal support for multi-national business operations, including substantial experience with data and SaaS licensing and exposure to other commercial matters in a fast-paced sales culture.
- Proven negotiation, drafting and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and independently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-faceted projects in a fast-moving environment.