The Associate General Counsel is responsible for providing legal advice and counsel to all divisions within the corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates to contribute effectively toward accomplishment of corporate objectives.General Functions and Outcomes
- Advises officers and employees on general corporate legal matters
- Responds to requests from various divisions of the corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates dealing with corporate legal matters.
- Ensures that legal documents and contracts are legally sufficient, complete, well written and understandable.
- Assures that the corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates are adequately represented for legal issues including business policies, contracts and against actual and threatened litigation
- Reviews and/or drafts new or modified policies, contracts and other documents.
- Makes compromise settlement decisions within authority limits set by the General Counsel or Chief Legal Officer
- Develops and maintains professional competence.
- Provides mentoring of Associate General Counsels to improve and hone their skills, and ensure that their performance is of the highest quality.
- Selects outside council to represent on various matters and may manage outside counsel as well as the legal issue.
- Performs other legal, administrative or management functions as directed by General Counsels or Chief Legal Officer.
Normally to be proficient in the competencies listed above
- Demonstrated knowledge of general corporate and health insurance law.
- Demonstrated knowledge of state and federal corporate and insurance regulations and compliance standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees, including management staff and officers.
- Demonstrated ability to provide thorough analysis on legal issues, meet deadlines and follow through on assignments.
- Demonstrated competency to manage large volumes of information and priorities.
Associate General Counsel II must be a graduate of an accredited law school, licensed to practice law in the state where the position is based or ability to become licensed in a reasonable period of time. At least 3 years experience as an Associate General Counsel I with a high level performance rating or 5 years as an attorney in corporate, government or law firm or equivalent experience which may be satisfied by excellent academic credentials and/or other experience/knowledge that demonstrated required skill set.Required Licenses, Certifications, Registration, Etc.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug and tobacco-free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law. A drug screen and background check are required.