As a lawyer supporting Citigroup's US Consumer Digital Business, this individual will work with a team of attorneys and legal professionals located in the US that provides legal guidance regarding digital and technology solutions for the US Consumer business units, including Cards, Retail Banking and Wealth Management. This individual will build strong relationships and work closely with the business, while ensuring that Citi and its shareholders are well protected and positioned in the market.
The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, will understand and have experience in Consumer Banking and related technology, and leverage legal knowledge to help business colleagues grow the business, anticipate risk, and avoid regulatory pitfalls. He/she will clearly and effectively communicate with business leaders as well as external constituents such as regulators.Specific responsibilities:
- Manage delivery of legal services related to the digital and technology teams of US Consumer Digital business unit.
- Work with the business, legal colleagues, and the other control functions to identify and manage franchise and reputational risks.
- Advise on existing legal issues as well as proactively advise on potential risks; spot legal and regulatory trends and advise business on how to pursue business goals in a way that avoids potential legal/regulatory issues.
- Play a key leadership role in building relationships with business leaders, team members and other departments through an open and collaborative style.
- Provide advice on the development and implementation of new digital product or service offerings (e.g. mobile banking applications, wallets, money movement)
- Provide legal support on initiatives to enhance digital engagement and interaction with customers (e.g. new applications to identify, acquire and service customers, enhance customer experience and increase digital usage);
- Structure, negotiate and draft commercial agreements with technology and other partners;
- Provide advice on relevant regulatory matters, including new guidelines and initiatives.
In additional to supporting business managers, the attorney will work closely with other business lawyers in the U.S. and other regions as well as key functional partners, including compliance and risk management.Qualifications:
- A J.D. and 10+ years of professional experience
- Significant experience with legal issues specific to consumer financial services, including financial technology expertise
- Significant regulatory experience, including familiarity with Federal Reserve, OCC and CFPB
- Experience working with a high performance, client-focused legal team
- Keen understanding of emerging legal trends and risks, including developing areas of consumer protection in the regulatory and litigation areas
- Consumer retail banking activities, including relevant federal and state consumer banking laws and regulations (e.g. the Electronic Signatures Act, the Electronic Funds Transfers Act/Regulation E, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act/Regulation B and UDAAP among others);
- Negotiating and drafting commercial agreements with technology partners, such as licensing, development, consulting, content or other similar agreements;
- Data privacy and security issues, including collection, ownership, use, storage and other legal issues related to handling of customer data;
- Digital banking and related financial technology issues.
Important attributes will include the ability to exercise good judgment, offer sensible solutions and provide constructive advice in situations where laws are uncertain and evolving; willingness to actively engage and work together with business partners; ability to listen, be creative and solve problems; ability to collaborate across business, legal and other functional teams in a complex business organization.