Chinook Therapeutics is seeking an experienced attorney to work closely with partners across the company, overseeing and providing support for day-to-day legal questions and contract needs, as well as SEC reporting and compliance. This individual will provide support for clinical and preclinical activities, business development, investor relations, finance, manufacturing, regulatory and human resources. Reporting to the General Counsel and located in Seattle, WA, this will be a high-profile, high-growth position in a small legal department with significant exposure to all levels of the organization.
- Serve as primary legal contact for all parts of the business with respect to day-to-day contract needs.
- Draft, negotiate, and finalize all ordinary-course contracts involving the company, including confidentiality, services, consulting, clinical trial, manufacturing and supply, and other agreements.
- Supervise implementation and maintenance of company’s contracts management system.
- Provide support in the preparation and filing of all SEC filings, including periodic and current reports, proxy statements, Section 16 reports and confidential treatment requests.
- Provide due diligence and support in connection with business development transactions, including financings and collaboration, licensing, and acquisition transactions.
- Support the Human Resources Department on employment-related needs.
- Assist the Legal Department in fulfilling training needs throughout the organization, including the development and presentation of training sessions on relevant laws and legal/business issues and processes.
- Provide support on all other matters requested by the General Counsel, including with respect to litigation matters, as needed.
- Supervise external legal counsel on all of the above matters.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a positive team-focused company culture.
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- J.D. from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA).
- Admitted to practice law in one or more states, preferably Washington.
- 2-5 years of experience within a high-growth U.S. publicly-traded biotech or pharmaceutical company.
- Prior relevant large law firm experience preferred.
- Substantive experience in the areas of contract drafting and negotiation of biotech or pharma contract forms, public company reporting and compliance, corporate governance and employment law.
- Self-motivated, assertive, and self-confident with the ability to act with urgency and passion.
- Strong technical/analytical skills, combined with a practical, business-oriented approach to identifying and solving business and legal problems.
- Entrepreneurial, enjoys working in a fast-paced, small-company environment.
- Proven ability to work with a high level of integrity, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills in order to maintain a high level of productivity, innovation, and priority-setting in order to complete work on-time and on-budget.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for effectively interfacing with all levels of the organization.
- Resourceful, creative, enthusiastic, and results-oriented