The Associate Counsel for Labor & Employment for Baltimore City Public Schools will be responsible for handling matters related to employment and labor grievances and appeals including the preparation and presentation of cases before hearing officers, arbitration panels, administrative agencies, State and Federal Courts. Responsibilities may include participation in labor negotiations, providing counsel to administrative staff, policy formulation, litigation of various legal matters and providing training on School Law issues.
Essential functions, knowledge skills and abilities
- Prepare for and defend City Schools in complex suits that are brought against it in State and Federal Courts.
- Represent City Schools in administrative proceedings. Perform legal research and render legal opinions on difficult questions that are raised, in particular issues involving current or potential litigation exposure. Provide legal advice and strategy respective of collective bargaining agreements.
- Advise staff on pay for performance models and issues.
- Familiarity with Federal, State, and City statutes and regulations including Title IX, Title VII, ADA, FLSA, ADEA and FMLA.
- Five years of legal experience including considerable direct experience in labor and employment law.
- Admission to the Maryland Bar.
Benefits-- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org.
Baltimore City Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and encourages resumes from bi-lingual or multi-lingual candidates. Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate in any aspect of employment based on race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age.