Waste Connections has an immediate opening for a highly motivated, results-oriented Associate Counsel in the Legal Department in The Woodlands, Texas. The Associate Counsel is a corporate generalist, able to provide a wide range of legal services and advice to various departments and business units throughout the company’s U.S. operations.
- Providing legal services to various departments and business units with respect to a variety of transactional and commercial matters around the U.S., including drafting, reviewing, and negotiating customer contracts, franchise, collection, transportation and disposal agreements, master service agreements, information technology agreements, property and equipment leases, requests for proposals and other commercial arrangements.
- Enforcing commercial and municipal contracts, including collection of past due amounts, pursuing and defending claims of tortious interference, and enforcing various contract provisions.
- Assisting with other disputes and litigation matters.
- Supporting merger and acquisition transactions, including due diligence, document preparation, closing mechanics and post-closing integration.
- Answering subpoenas.
- Completing special projects as requested.
- Assisting with managing outside counsel relationships and services.
- J.D., excellent academic credentials.
- Active license to practice law in at least one state and active membership in good standing of the bar of at least one state.
- 3+ years of experience practicing corporate law in a law firm or corporation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, dynamic and team-oriented.
- Excellent analytical skills, with a strong ability to draft and review legal documents, and analyze and apply legal advice in a practical manner.
- Hard working, well-organized and detail-oriented. Must be able to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to use technology to streamline the delivery of legal services.
- Flexibility and willingness to work on a broad variety of legal matters.
- Willingness to learn and advise in other general law subject matter areas as needed.
What’s In It for You?
You will be joining a high profile team and a great company known for its Servant Leadership and “work hard, play harder” culture. Competitive compensation package includes base salary plus annual cash bonus and equity grant (restricted share units) eligibility.
We also offer excellent family benefits including: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, long term and short term disability, life insurance, 401(k) retirement and unlimited opportunities to "Connect with Your Future."