The Associate Counsel position at Harsch Investment Properties represents a rare opportunity for a qualified and dedicated individual to join and contribute to a consistently successful, growing organization, with a national reputation for real estate excellence. Founded in 1950, our privately held real estate company acquires, manages, and develops properties for its own richly diverse portfolio. Award-winning Harsch enjoys a stellar reputation in the industry, and among countless thousands of tenants throughout the Western United States. We own and operate over 27 million square feet of office, multi-tenant industrial, multi-family and retail properties in six western states. Headquartered in Portland, Oregon, Harsch has regional offices in Portland, Seattle, the San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento, Las Vegas, and San Diego.
The Associate Counsel will provide legal guidance and support to the Company and its respective teams in connection with all facets of its business including but not limited to leasing, property management, development, acquisitions, and finance in connection with all properties in the Company’s portfolio and assist Senior Counsel and the legal department with any other assignments.
- Provide legal support for leasing, property management, development, acquisitions, finance, and other departments as needed.
- Negotiate and draft letters of intent, leases, exhibits, amendments, assignments, termination agreements, licenses, SNDAs, estoppels and any other necessary legal documentation.
- Assist with negotiations of leases and other agreements with tenants and vendors.
- Draft and negotiate amendments to existing CCRs, easements and other recorded documents on properties as necessary.
- Review existing leases and update lease provisions.
- Assist with retail leasing matters including preparing legal abstracts, outlining and tracking critical dates, and updating leases.
- Assist property managers with lease disputes with tenants.
- Communicate frequently with regional managers on prioritizing legal work.
- Regularly update templates to improve provisions and ensure compliance with laws.
- Assist with acquisitions of properties including reviewing leases, creating legal abstracts, and drafting memos outlining critical issues with existing leases.
- Assist with Legal Department needs.
Experience, Training, Skills Required:
- Minimum 5 years practicing commercial real estate law with thorough understanding of contract/finance law and real estate transactions (acquisitions, leasing, financing, and property management).
- Experience in drafting documents and agreements related to the real estate industry.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex lease clauses.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to handle heavy workload and shift priorities on a regular basis.
- Draft complete, concise, and high quality written legal documents.
- Juris Doctor Degree
- Bachelors Degree
License or Certificate Required:
Admission to and in good standing with the Oregon State Bar
Travel to assigned properties may be required.