About the Opportunity.
Read King is searching for an Associate Attorney to add to our in-house legal department. A leading full-service commercial real estate firm serving landlords, tenants, retailers, restaurants, grocery stores, and developers across the nation, Read King was founded by Jeff Read and Ewing King more than 25 years ago. The Company’s expertise includes investment and development strategies, shopping center and build-to-suit development, leasing, tenant representation, property management, construction, land sales and dispositions. Read King has developed over 3 Million square feet of Class A retail space in the Greater Houston area. For more information see www.read-king.com.Summary of the Position
. Our ideal candidate is a 2 – 5 year lawyer who thrives in a fast paced environment, is eager to assume responsibility and take initiative, is the consummate team player, possesses a positive, collaborative, collegial attitude, and who is looking for an opportunity to be more than a lawyer – who wants to become an integral part of the business as we build our Company for the future.
The Associate Attorney will be the 2nd in-house lawyer and will report directly to the General Counsel and will facilitate real estate transactions that include acquisitions and dispositions, land use and development, construction contracts, exchange transactions, due diligence review, financing, leasing, preparation of tenant estoppels and SNDAs, general contract and other legal work, as well as coordination of outside legal counsel. There will be a specific emphasis on transaction and project management, leasing, lease administration and managing critical dates.Highlights of the opportunity include:
- Working closely with in-house brokers, development and construction teams, finance, property management, and senior management in a problem solving role, proactively facilitating legal support on transactions and other initiatives to meet Company business objectives.
- Varied quality legal work with significant hands on responsibility in a small legal department.
- A Company culture which is family-oriented, entrepreneurial, collegial, and fun - and offers a work-life balance.
- Draft, review and negotiate various commercial agreements including leases, purchase agreements, loan documents, SNDAs, estoppels, waivers, default and demand notices, and other contracts.
- Handle real estate due diligence matters, including survey and title review, licensing compliance, and other commercial real estate related matters.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of regulatory and governmental compliance requirements pertaining to commercial development and real estate transactions.
- Manage transactions and deal flow, including responsibility for tracking critical dates in a high volume, time sensitive environment.
- Support continuous improvement of standard form agreements, legal processes and policies, and contract management.
- Coordinate with various parties internally and externally to advise the Company on a broad range of legal issues and provide services and support relating to the Company’s business objectives.
- Perform legal research on specific issues; Work with and supervise outside counsel.
Skills and Attributes:
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school; Good Standing with the State Bar of Texas
- Minimum 2 years relevant transactional experience
- Strong knowledge of relevant legal and regulatory issues
- Strong PC skills with Microsoft Office, PPT, and Excel expertise
- Stable Work History
- Able to handle a large volume of transactions, maintain a good sense of humor, deliver superior quality legal work, and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; a commitment to professionalism, integrity, confidentiality and collegiality; comfortable working on a wide range of legal matters
- Flexibility and mental agility to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities
- Able to work under tight deadlines, handle multiple detailed tasks simultaneously, prioritize, and delegate to available resources as appropriate
- Anticipate legal problems and issues; provide balanced, well-reasoned and practical legal advice; formulate innovative solutions to mitigate legal risk in a manner that supports business objectives and priorities.
- Ability to translate complex information quickly to provide business risk evaluations and recommendations
- Exercise initiative and judgment in taking actions to resolve problems, while knowing when and to whom to escalate issues
- Detail oriented, excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable working independently; effectively represent the Legal Department as part of a multi/cross-functional team
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.