Earthjustice is accepting applications for two Associate Attorneys to join our Fossil Fuels Program. We use the power of the law to challenge the onslaught of new oil and gas infrastructure development that threatens climate, communities and our environment. Both positions will work cross-regionally with a focus on either the U.S. Gulf region or the Ohio River Valley, with one position based in New Orleans, Louisiana and the other in Chicago, Illinois.
At a time when we desperately need to reduce greenhouse emissions, the oil and gas industry is aggressively expanding fossil fuel infrastructure, locking us into decades of future fossil fuel use and directly harming communities already hardest hit by climate disruption. Earthjustice’s Fossil Fuels program uses litigation, administrative advocacy, and partnership to advance an end to U.S. oil and gas extraction and production, and stop new infrastructure (e.g., petrochemical facilities, export terminals and pipelines).
The Associate Attorney program is designed to help attorneys who are in the early stages of their careers to develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation. The term for the associate position is three-years with the potential for an extension.Responsibilities:
- Work with program staff and clients to investigate, develop, and litigate cases.
- Participate in the full range of tasks involved in litigation, including factual investigation, legal research, memo writing, comments, briefing, discovery, and oral advocacy.
- Review and analyze administrative records and technical documents, and prepare comments on proposed agency actions, permits, and environmental review documents.
- Engage with clients, coalition partners, and experts, as well as internal communications and legislative staff.
- Hire and supervise law students who work at Earthjustice as interns or clerks.
- Admitted to, or eligible for admission to the Louisiana Bar for the New Orleans-based position or the Illinois Bar for the Chicago-based position.
- 1-5 years of post-graduate litigation and/or clerkship experience.
- Excellent legal research, writing and analytical skills.
- Strong work ethic and initiative, and sound yet creative judgment.
- Ability to work well both independently and with a team.
- Strong desire to fight for the right of all to a healthy environment.
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Commitment to help create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Willingness to contribute to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Salary is based on experience and location.
- Salary range in New Orleans, LA: 1-5 years $76,200 - $93,400
- Salary range in Chicago, IL: 1-5 years $85,100 - $104,400
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit the following:
- One page cover letter that addresses why you would like to serve as an associate for this specific position.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that primarily reflects your work.
- Law school transcript.
- List of three references.