Sorry! This position is no longer available!
Emerson College is seeking an attorney to provide legal support with respect to a variety of commercial and transactional matters that are undertaken in support of its educational mission. The primary purpose of this role is to review, draft, and negotiate a variety of agreements and other documents, and to provide associated legal advice and recommendations to internal clients. The role provides support directly to colleagues across the College and acts at the direction of the General Counsel.
Your Essential Functions
- Key responsibilities, include, but are not limited to the following:
- Review, draft and negotiate new agreements to balance legal protection, business objectives and promote clarity on a variety of transactional matters central to the College’s operations; examples include but are not limited to:
- Clinical placement agreements, academic collaboration agreements, vendor agreements, confidentiality agreements, consulting agreements, releases and intellectual property assignments, independent contractor agreements, and agreements for the College to provide services.
- Review existing agreements and related records when disputes arise. Prepare communications to address disputes and achieve resolutions. Draft settlements to resolve disputes.
- Develop and update standard contract templates; ensure they comply with College policy and applicable laws regulations.
- Advise managers and department leaders throughout the contract negotiations with respect to the areas of legal risk and exposure.
- Provide actionable business advice on contracts and risk to applicable stakeholders.
- Work with colleagues in business functions to provide training on legal and compliance issues.
- Interact with the College, external business, and legal personnel on legal matters.
- Prepare agreements, advise internal clients, and assess College business relationships with attention to the College’s educational mission and values, including academic excellence, diversity, inclusion, and access.
- Draft correspondence related to the listed duties and responsibilities.
- Promote the confidentiality of transactions and legal matters.
- Address other legal matters and perform other duties as assigned by the General Counsel as the position evolves.
- J.D. Degree from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in accordance with Massachusetts state bar requirements. Member in good standing of all state bars where licensed to practice law.
- 4-8 years of relevant experience either with a law firm or in-house legal department.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High degree of client-service-focused professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate with colleagues at various levels, including senior leadership.
- Clear decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills.
Our Preference Would Be:
Higher education experience or experience in a highly-regulated industry.
Closing Date: 22nd February, 2021