The position of Assistant General Counsel – Securities, Governance & Transactions requires an attorney experienced in corporate and securities law and the legal aspects of transactions involving mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and other matters. The position will report directly to the SVP, Deputy General Counsel and Corporate Secretary and work closely with various members of the legal, corporate development, accounting and finance departments.
- Advise on securities law and general corporate law matters.
- Handle the legal aspects of SEC reporting, including registration statements, proxy statements, reports on Form 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K.
- Review and provide input on press releases and other public disclosures.
- Oversee Section 16 reporting.
- Assist in corporate governance and board matters, including preparation of board materials, minutes and updates to corporate charters and policies.
- Assist in M&A, divestitures and other strategic transactions, including negotiating and drafting definitive agreements and related documents, with ability to assume the lead role managing the legal aspects M&A transactions in coordination with external counsel.
- Interact with other attorneys and clients in a broad range of legal counseling activities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed in this role. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, and other duties may be assigned.
- A Juris Doctorate with strong academic credentials and applicable bar membership and 12 years of overall professional experience.
- Prior experience should include 5+ years of corporate, securities, and transactional experience at a nationally-recognized law firm.
- Significant experience in SEC matters and understanding of securities regulations.
- Broad background in corporate law and corporate governance matters.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent business judgment and the ability to work well in a collegial, team-oriented environment.
- Able to handle complex matters, across multiple simultaneous initiatives that require discretion, confidentiality, and prioritization.
- Prior in-house experience at a publicly-traded corporation is a plus.
- Experience managing non-U.S. legal entities and branch registrations in multiple jurisdictions is a plus.
Key Attributes for Success in this Role:
- High initiative, flexibility, proactive approach and strong follow up skills. Responsive and thorough.
- Outstanding business acumen, legal reasoning and analysis, and strategic thinking ability.
- Demonstrated skills in client management and ability to communicate effectively with senior management.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a commitment to professionalism, integrity and collegiality.
- Flexibility and willingness to work on a broad range of legal matters.
- Self-motivated and ability to complete matters without extensive supervision.