Why You Will Love Being Part of the Navy Federal Team:
- Competitive compensation with opportunities for annual raises, promotions, and bonus potential
- Best-in-Class Benefits! (7% 401k match / Pension plan / Tuition reimbursement / Great insurance options)
- On-site amenities include fitness center, wellness center, cafeteria, etc. at Pensacola, FL; Vienna, VA and Winchester, VA campuses
- Consistently Awarded Top Workplace
- Nationally recognized training department by TRAINING Magazine
- An employee-focused, diverse, and service-oriented workplace environment
To provide expert advice, counsel, and litigation support regarding agreements and sourcing, including drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contractual terms and provisions and ensuring that those provisions reduce risk, enable business, and comply with applicable Navy Federal standards and legal requirements, advising senior management and business units on a wide spectrum of legal issues relating to contracting, vendor management, and the protection of intellectual property. To counsel on matters related to contracts, vendor management, and intellectual property law and regulations, federal and state regulatory agency issues, policies and practices, and dispute avoidance and resolution. To assist with responding to disputes, legal demands, overseeing litigation, and managing outside counsel. To assist with other legal work of the Office of General Counsel as needed, including compliance, real estate, and secondary market transaction matters.
- Provide advice and counsel regarding all legal matters related to sourcing, contracting, vendor management, and intellectual property protection, including policy development, strategic guidance, and litigation.
- Draft review, and negotiate a broad range of commercial and technology-related agreements, including but not limited to service provider contracts; and SaaS (software-as-a-service), software licensing, cloud computing, professional services, product development, data security, marketing, sponsorship, and sales agreements.
- Ensure that agreements reduce risk, meet business objectives and constraints, protect intellectual property rights, and comply with applicable laws, regulations, and Navy Federal’s standards, including those related to privacy and data security.
- Recognize and evaluate legal risk associated with contractual arrangements and provisions and provide strategic solutions to manage risk.
- Assist with obtaining and protecting patents, trademarks, and copyrights and manage infringement claims, offensively and defensively.
- Collaborate with and advise business clients in a variety of functional areas, with strong, clear, and concise communication, both in writing and in person.
- Identify changes in law and industry practices pertaining to sourcing, contracting, vendor management, and intellectual property protection to ensure necessary policies, strategies, procedures, controls, and terms are in place, effective, and efficient.
- Respond to General Counsel and senior management requests for specific legal support, interpretation, and analysis.
- Assist on other projects within the Office of General Counsel, including compliance, real estate, and secondary market transaction matters.
- Initiate or support assessments and contribute to the development and support of an appropriate internal control structure and risk management program.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Qualifications - Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school, fully accredited by the American Bar Association
- Licensed to practice law and in good standing with the bar of any state, and licensed or willing and able to become licensed to practice law as corporate counsel in Virginia
- Experience drafting and negotiating a broad range of commercial agreements, with a focus on technology-related agreements
- Experience working with and advising business clients directly, as well as providing guidance and practical solutions on various transactions, preferably in an in-house environment
- Demonstrated interpersonal, leadership, negotiating, consulting, research, analytical, and problem-solving abilities
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple, high-priority projects with a keen attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present complicated legal analyses and conclusions clearly and concisely and to draft clear, concise, accurate, and understandable contract terms
- Demonstrated interest in business performance and improvement
- Sound judgment and ability to assess issues and risk
- Experience with financial services industry or credit union operations
- Familiarity with Navy Federal’s objectives, functions, and policies
- 5 or more years of experience practicing technology, contract or procurement law
- Prior in-house experience at a financial institution or a law firm advising a financial institution