The ADA is the nation's largest dental association, representing over 163,000 dentist members and supporting those dentists with all aspects of oral health, the science of dentistry, and their dental practices. ADA lawyers provide legal support to the various divisions and agencies within the ADA, including four subsidiaries, the Board of Trustees, and twenty different councils, commissions, and committees.
The Assistant General Counsel is responsible for negotiating and drafting contracts and providing legal advice and services to various divisions within the ADA, as well as providing ADA member dentists with information concerning proposed contracts with third party payers and dental management service organizations. The Assistant General Counsel also participates in the development of legal information and publications for ADA members and staff, assists other ADA attorneys as requested, and works on special projects and matters assigned by the General Counsel.Minimum Qualifications:
Highly Desirable Skills:
- Juris Doctor with a minimum of 8 years’ experience practicing law, with an emphasis on contract law.
- Ability to analyze possible legal ramifications of a wide range of activities and complex areas of the law, exercise judgment and diplomacy, interact effectively with staff, volunteers, and leadership, identify and mitigate risks.
- Knowledge of basic legal principles and concepts, contract law and drafting.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (WORD, EXCEL & PowerPoint)
- Travel is possible but infrequent, dependent on specific circumstances.
- Familiarity with intellectual property
- Editing and writing experience
- Knowledge of general health care law.