Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing an Assistant General Counsel, Director Legal Transactions opportunity in Northbrook, IL or San Francisco, CA.
Purpose & Scope:
- The Assistant General Counsel, Director Legal Transactions, is a key member of the Rx+/Transactional team and is responsible for providing all aspects of legal support and service for all "Transactions" and "Other Deals" (as defined below), including all Rx+ Transactions, across the entirety of the Astellas global enterprise. "Transactions" includes business development (BD), alliance management (AM) and Rx+ deal work, licensing, collaborations, mergers, acquisitions, co-development, co-marketing, and co-promotions, as well as other complex transactions from other business stakeholders that are critical to the Company meeting its objectives in the Corporate Strategic Plan ("CSP").
- This is a strategic position and is accountable for supporting the achievement of the Company's CSP objectives, proactively identifying and mitigating risks to the Company's ability to achieve its objectives under the CSP, and balancing global business opportunities with associated legal and compliance risks in a complex and fast-evolving regulatory environment.
- This position is responsible for:
- providing practical, timely, high quality legal services for the organization on a global, Divisional, local and affiliate levels for all Transactional matters;
- providing legal support for other departments' complex transactions and deals that are critical to the growth of the Company and the Company meeting its objectives as may be requested by the Rx+/Transactional Legal Lead, the Legal Head of Commercial, Regulatory, M&D and Rx+/Transactional, or the General Counsel, including deals for research-related affiliates or PPS ("Other Deals");
- providing legal guidance to the business and the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team related to Transactions and Other Deals across the globe; and
- implementing preventative measures to avoid disputes and facilitate effective partnerships within the organization.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
The Assistant General Counsel, Director Legal Transactions will have the following responsibilities, working with the Senior Director, Rx+/Transactional:
- Collaborating with the Senior Director, Legal Rx+/Transactional, and the Legal Rx+/Transactional Team to develop strategies and provide legal support for Transactions and Other Deals globally (taking into account local laws and practices as may be appropriate), including identifying specific legal requirements relative to such commercial activity and advising on opportunities and legal risks with respect to those matters supported by the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team.
- Providing legal support for small to large complex commercial Transactions within Astellas, including mergers & acquisitions, collaborations, and licensing, as well as alliance management and Other Deals.
- Coordinating and working closely with members of the Legal Commercial Team for the U.S., Established Markets, and International Divisions, as well as the Legal Commercial Team for the Japan and Greater China Divisions (collectively, the "Legal Commercial Teams"), on all local, Divisional or affiliate-level Transactional matters and Other Deals.
- Helping to manage and set priorities for the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team based on Astellas' business goals, anticipated risks and available resources, ensuring consistent use of best practices and a high standard of professional excellence.
- Collaborating with solid and dotted line members of the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team, coordinating closely with members of the Legal Commercial Teams.
- Helping to develop a streamlined and consistent approach to those matters, Transactions and activities supported by the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team, including Transactional activities as well as Other Deals globally (taking into account local laws and practices as may be appropriate).
- Providing legal support for Other Deals, including licensing, collaborations, research and development deals, mergers and acquisitions as may be requested by and under the direction of the Senior Director, Legal Rx+/Transactional, or the Rx+/Transactional Legal Lead.
- Identifying key legal issues requiring attention from the Senior Director, Legal Rx+/Transactional, as appropriate.
- Coordinating and working closely with the Legal and IP function, as well as the IP-INV function, for deal due diligence and other related matters in connection with matters/Transactions handled by the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team.
- Coordinating and working closely with the Corporate Communications function on all matters related to all Transactions and matters supported by the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team.
- Anticipating potential legal issues within the organization with respect to matters and Transactions supported by the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team and, in conjunction with the Senior Director, Legal Rx+/Transactional, developing strategies to mitigate risks.
- Making strategic decisions regarding legal arguments and positions taken in connection with legal matters, Transactions and activities supported by the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team.
- Working with outside counsel, ensuring efficient and effective use of outside counsel, and coordinating with the Senior Director, Legal Rx+/Transactional, and other members of the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team.
- As appropriate, preparing, overseeing and managing the budget for a particular transaction, including management of outside counsel fees consistent with applicable budgets; working creatively with outside counsel to minimize fees and costs.
- Working collaboratively with a broad range of people and functions throughout the organization to develop and maintain strong working relationships across all functional areas to facilitate a partnering-based approach.
- Reviewing, analyzing and keeping current on business development and alliance management developments affecting the pharmaceutical industry.
- Developing legal training specific to issues and matters supported by the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team, identifying training needs within client groups and assisting in the development and presentation of training for such issues.
- Supporting the Senior Director, Legal Rx+/Transactional, in leading a Culture of Excellence for the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team which includes driving and fostering: (1) an agile, adaptive culture; (2) a value-based organization based on Legal's Mission, Strategic Plan and objectives; (3) a culture of innovation, transparency and trust; (4) proactive identification/mitigation of risk in a balanced approach; (5) empowerment and engagement of the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team members; and (6) a collaborative culture with close coordination with other members of Legal and IP as appropriate to leverage synergies and efficiencies; (7) a culture of compliance and good corporate governance; and (8) continuous expectation of high performance, where "ok" is not good enough.
- Other projects as may be requested by Senior Director, Legal Rx+/Transactional, or Rx+/Transactional Legal Lead.
- Overnight travel, including international travel, as needed.
- Organizational Context:
- Reports to Senior Director, Legal Rx+/Transactional.
- Member of Rx+/Transactional Legal Team.
- Works closely and collaborates with colleagues at local, Divisional and global levels.
- Works closely and coordinates with other members of the Rx+/Transactional Legal Team, including regional and local attorneys who have dotted line reporting to the Legal Rx+/Transactional Lead.
- Law degree, LL.M. or equivalent.
- At least 7-10 years of professional experience in a law firm or corporate setting, with at least 5 years of diverse M&A and complex transactions legal experience, including experience as the lead attorney and manager of a deal team.
- Solid experience and knowledge of best practices relating to business development and alliance management matters in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Deep understanding of the legal issues affecting the pharmaceutical industry, including regulatory processes for prescription drugs, anti-kickback, fraud and abuse, anti-bribery and anti-corruption and antitrust laws. Strong knowledge of global regulatory environment that affects decision-making across Astellas' global business. In-depth understanding of the pharmaceutical industry, including IP, manufacturing, R&D, regulatory and commercial elements.
- Strong ability to grasp legal issues quickly, exhibit strong analytical problem solving and decision making skills, exercise sound judgment, and provide practical and constructive legal advice in a time-sensitive dynamic and fast paced complex global environment.
- Solid negotiation and communication skills (both oral and written). Ability to communicate legal issues in a clear and understandable manner.
- Strong work ethic and ability to manage large workload, multi-task, focus on critical priorities, and otherwise effectively meet client needs. Ability to produce high quality work under deadline pressures.
- Team player with demonstrable ability to build relationships both internally and externally.
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, innovative, strategic, self-motivated and able to motivate others.
- A strong commitment to integrity and professionalism and demonstrated passion for excellence.