Summary of Major Responsibilities
A leading provider of cancer screening and diagnostic tests, Exact Sciences relentlessly pursues smarter solutions providing the clarity to take life-changing action, earlier. Building on the success of Cologuard and Oncotype DX, Exact Sciences is investing in its product pipeline to take on some of the deadliest cancers and improve patient care. Exact Sciences unites visionary collaborators to help advance the fight against cancer.
The Company is seeking an Assistant General Counsel to join its growing legal team. The Assistant General Counsel will build strong relationships with senior leadership and serve as the primary advisor for negotiating, drafting and reviewing contracts on behalf of the Company and its affiliates in key areas of the Company’s business, such as marketing, commercial operations, manufacturing, supply chain, information technology, clinical affairs and research and development. The Assistant General Counsel will also partner with business teams and other functions of the Company’s legal department (e.g., compliance, data privacy, corporate governance) on projects and cross-functional initiatives as necessary to achieve the Company’s legal and business objectives. The Company will depend on the Assistant General Counsel to independently navigate a wide variety of legal agreements and issues in order to provide internal business partners with practical legal advice within business-critical timelines.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Independently draft and review complex legal agreements across a number of key business areas.
- Effectively communicate with business clients, other members of the Company’s legal department, outside counsel and opposing counsel to navigate and solve legal issues.
- Collaborate with business teams to approach and solve cross-functional legal and business issues, while mitigating risk to the Company.
- Partner closely with the Company’s compliance team to ensure that the Company remains in compliance with laws, rules, regulations and best practices applicable to the Company’s business.
- Build strong and collaborative working relationships with senior business leaders and their business teams in order to understand, support and implement business goals.
- Identify opportunities to partner with outside counsel and managing outside counsel’s performance and access to the Company’s business teams.
- Support the Company’s legal department and provide assistance on special projects, including litigation matters, as needed.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s quality management system policies and procedures.
- Ability to be proactive and thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with often competing priorities.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously with defined timelines and prioritize when necessary.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 90% of a typical working day.
- Ability to travel away from work location approximately 10% of a typical work month (including overnight travel) as necessary to support the Company’s affiliates, including in Madison, Wisconsin; San Francisco, California; and San Diego, California.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- 3+ years of experience practicing law in the corporate section of a law firm or the in-house legal department of a corporation.
- 2+ years of experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial agreements.
- Licensed to practice law in a United States jurisdiction.
- Demonstrated willingness to work hard and be versatile in response to new information and unexpected circumstances.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Demonstrated ability to perform “Essential Duties” set forth above with or without accommodation.
- Strong (top 33% of graduating class) academic credentials from a top (T50) U.S. law school.
- 3+ years of experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial agreements involving laws and regulations applicable to healthcare clients (e.g., HIPAA/HITECH Act, Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute).
- Experience reviewing and negotiating clinical trial agreements and other research-related agreements.
- Experience advising healthcare clients on United States and European privacy and data protection laws.
- Willingness to reside in the general area of either Madison, Wisconsin or San Francisco, California.