The Bronx District Attorney is seeking an experienced attorney (10+ years) with outstanding management skills and expertise in both civil procedure and criminal law to become the Chief of the Civil Litigation Bureau. The Bureau is responsible for Asset Forfeiture, Evictions, FOIL, Subpoena Compliance and Special Litigation. Through provisional remedies and other means, the Bureau aggressively, yet fairly, pursues the proceeds and instrumentalities of crime in all of its forms, especially money laundering, tax offenses, and sophisticated financial frauds that victimize our community. A successful candidate is a person of vision who is seeking a challenge.
Specific duties will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Respond to FOIL requests and other legal process including subpoenas, and otherwise provide litigation support to the Office
- Institute Article 78 and other proceedings, as required, to advance the interests of the Office in an appropriate manner.
- Coordinate civil litigation efforts in asset forfeiture and restitution with the investigative bureaus and units of the Office
- Educate and train attorneys/support staff on all facets of civil litigation
- Conduct case conferences and reviews regularly
- Defend the office against lawsuits
- Perform all other related duties and projects as designated
Preferred Education and Experience/Qualifications:
- Juris Doctorate degree, 10+ years of Civil Litigation with six years of management experience
- US Citizenship and New York State Residency are required.
- Background in financial investigations is preferred
- Experience taking and defending depositions, drafting and responding to interrogatories and familiarity with other forms of civil discovery
- Expertise in supervising document production.
- Experience in Temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions and orders of attachment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information
- Strong business planning and forecasting skills
- Excellent computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Excellent presentation and organizational skills
- Ability to exercise good judgment and strong ethics
- Ability to analytically solve issues or problems from inception through conclusion