Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is the third largest school district in the United States, serving over 350,000 students in 600+ schools and employing nearly 36,000 people, most of them teachers. CPS has set ambitious goals to ensure that every student, in every school and every neighborhood, has access to a world-class learning experience that prepares each for success in college, career and civic life. In order to fulfill this mission we make three commitments to our students, their families and all Chicagoans: academic progress, financial stability and integrity. Six core values are embedded within these commitments – student centered, whole child, equity, academic excellence, community partnership and continuous learning.
CPS is seeking a seasoned attorney who can hit the ground running in the Transactions Unit as Assistant Deputy General Counsel. Candidates must have expert level experience in commercial contract drafting and negotiations, demonstrated corporate generalist experience with strong client counseling and management background in a deadline-driven, high volume environment. The Assistant Deputy General Counsel is expected to handle contracts and related legal issues and questions of substantial complexity and must have a broad range of knowledge and skill on general legal matters and risks impacting organizations through transactions. Under the direct supervision of the Deputy General Counsel, the Assistant Deputy General Counsel is accountable for the following responsibilities:
- Independently draft and negotiate a broad range of contracts supporting the day-to-day operations of the Chicago Public Schools, including general services, technology, data sharing, research, supply contracts, financings, and related procurement documents and solicitations in compliance with Board rules, policies, and applicable laws.
- Provide direction and support to less senior staff attorneys and paralegals and assist with oversight of contract negotiations, drafting and review of final work product, ensuring completion against established deadlines.
- Provide advice, counsel and interpretation of laws and policies impacting transactions, contracting and public procurement and ensure timely update of contracts and templates to reflect current legal and internal policy requirements.
- Develop protocol and tools for contracting, including development of contract templates, implementation of systems to streamline contracting, establishing playbooks, processes and workflows governing the intake, review, and approval of contract requests to ensure timely contract assignment, progress and completion.
- Assist the Deputy General Counsel with other responsibilities related to group operations and other duties as assigned.
Type of Education and License Required:
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Must be licensed to practice law and in good standing in the State of Illinois.
Type of Experience and Number of Years:
- Minimum of 10 years relevant commercial contracting experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of successful and relevant supervisory experience managing attorneys and legal staff of differing abilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience drafting a range of commercial contracts, including technology and data agreements.
- Strong service and support orientation towards diverse range of in-house clients.
- Excellent communication, persuasive writing, editing and presentation skills.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Excellent coordination and time management skills.
- Deadline-driven, Strong strategic thinker.
- Excellent analytical skills; able to quickly grasp and effectively communicate complex concepts.
- Detail-oriented and results-driven.
- Self-starter; takes initiative.
- Demonstrated success working in fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a team-based environment