This position, which is based in Melville, Long Island, is responsible for providing patent advice and support to a leading global prestige beauty company, including patent prosecution, opinions on validity and infringement, designing and delivering client training, negotiating and drafting technology agreements.
- Independently prepare and prosecute US patent applications through all stages to either issuance or abandonment for inventions in chemical formulations and processes and mechanical inventions in simple packaging and components.
- Assist outside counsel handling US and foreign patent prosecution of US-based inventions under the supervision of a VP Patent Counsel.
- Assist in preparing opinions on validity and infringement under the supervision of a VP Patent Counsel.
- Provide training to technologists on IP legal principles as well as various IP-related forms and processes.
- Provide other legal assistance as needed to the SVP & Deputy General Counsel, IP on patent and other matters.
Minimum Education level: JD from top law school
Minimum Years of Experience: 5-7
% Travel Time: 0-5%
Required Language Proficiency: English
Licenses or Certifications: Admission in good standing to at least one State Bar and the USPTO
Additional Job Specifications (e.g., physical demands, working conditions, equipment/machinery, specific skills, etc.):
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemistry or similar; good practical working knowledge of chemistry
- Understanding of mechanical technology sufficient to prepare and prosecute patent applications on simple packaging and components
- Experience negotiating and drafting technology-related agreements (e.g. joint development, exclusivity, and MSAs, etc.)
- Registered Patent attorney
- Excellent legal and business judgment; a high degree of discretion; and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to form strong relationships with business leaders, including the R&D team
- Ability to execute in a complex matrixed environment
- Cosmetic and/or OTC industry experience preferred
- Global experience at AM Law 200 firm and/or multi-national Fortune 1000 company preferred