The position is grant-funded and contingent upon receiving grand funds through the Office on Violence Against Women. The position involves primary responsibility for prosecution of crimes involving violence against adult women, including domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, and stalking related crimes, protective orders, and dating violence. Due to the nature of cases prosecuted, this position requires the ability to deal sensitively with persons experiencing extreme emotional and sometimes financial crisis.Minimum Qualifications:
- Graduation from an accredited school of law and some legal trial experience, including some
- experience in serving victims of violent crime, including stalking, domestic violence, and sexual assault.
- Thorough knowledge of Virginia sentencing guidelines and the preparation of recommended
- sentencing guidelines for the Circuit Court Judges
- General knowledge of the modern principles and practices of law.
- General knowledge of legal research and the investigation, preparation, and presentation of cases to trial.
- Must be an active member of the Virginia State Bar and licensed to practice in Virginia.
- Specialized knowledge of the Code of Virginia and case law.
- Some knowledge of interviewing victims of sexual assault.
Please Note: A Resume is Required When Applying for This Position.Supplemental Information:
Serves as prosecutor for the Commonwealth; gathers and analyzes evidence in cases and reviews pertinent decisions, policies, regulations, and other legal matters pertaining to case; interviews witnesses; determines whether or not to charge a defendant, whether to plea bargain, and determines how to try the case; appears against accused in court of law and presents evidence before judge or other judiciary, and jury.Physical Demands:
Must be physically able to operate tools such as pens, pencils, telephone and standard office equipment. There is some walking, climbing of stairs, bending and stooping when retrieving files, and standing in court. Work performed in the office is normally while seated at a desk or in front of a computer.