Provide advice and counsel as an experienced subject matter expert in their relevant area, but also on broader legal issues to protect the reputation and business interests of the Institute. Help ensure the Institute complies with all relevant laws and regulations. Provide legal advice of more complex or specialized legal activities, counseling and advice primarily to management on legal problems of a complex nature, education and training within area of expertise to functional or operational area managers to ensure their activities comply with law, regulation and policy. Provide legal advice within areas of expertise to area managers to ensure their activities, policies, business practices, and transactions comply with all relevant laws and regulations.This position will interact on a consistent basis with: Institute executive management and department heads, research and academic faculty, cooperative organizations, Institute staff, opposing counsel, and representatives of various regulatory agencies.
This role reports to the Chief Counsel for Employment & Litigation and supports all employment and litigation matters across the Institute, including discovery, litigation strategy, employment agreements, personnel matters, and EEOC cases.Responsibilities:
Required Qualifications:Educational Requirements
- Provide advice and counsel to Institute management and executive leadership on specific areas of expertise, but also identify and advise on broader legal issues, especially if they involve controversial or significant matters. Lead policy development in area of specialty and engage with stakeholders to provide legal input proactively. Understand the potential impact to campus and independently research impact and recommend actions.
- Identify, analyze, report and advise on any existing, proposed, or pending changes in the law in various areas of expertise.
- Independently manage their legal projects and perform legal work in coordination and communication with affected stakeholders.
- Prepare any legal documents, including responses to various government agencies, other authorities or external parties.
- Prepare or review complex materials for external legal counsel coordination.
- Coordinate and manage various legal projects that may involve other practice groups within the department.
- Interact with external counsel and representatives of the state Attorney General office and Board of Regents legal staff on pending matters and legal issues.
- Recommend, develop and facilitate campus-wide education and training.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Juris Doctorate from an accredited schoolRequired Experience:
Seven to nine years of job related experience
Other Required Qualifications
Member of the Georgia Bar or ability to become licensed to practice law in Georgia within twelve months of hire.Preferred Qualifications:
The successful candidate should have proven ability to independently manage a wide variety of complex cases and demonstrate sound judgment and decision-making ability with minimal supervision. The successful candidate should be an experienced strategic thinker who can work collaboratively with stakeholders, including HR and the Office of the Attorney General, to resolve issues in a timely manner with favorable outcomes. Skills in specialty area(s) of legal practice, legal experience in a large public research university or state government is preferred. The successful candidate should possess creativity, resourcefulness, professionalism, enthusiasm, self-awareness, and a high standard of excellence.Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:Skills
This job requires professionally advanced knowledge of the law, especially as applied within a higher education and research oriented environment. Such knowledge shall be in a particular area of the law that is essential to the function of the Institution. Additionally, the ability to communicate effectively with tact and diplomacy are required as are skills in negotiation, strategy development, multi-tasking and relationship building. Use of office and legal related computer applications is required. The person in this position will be expected to work at the highest professional level with integrity, judgment and attention to detail and work as a contributing member of the legal team.