The Wyoming Attorney General's Office seeks qualified applicants interested in defensive litigation to handle civil actions brought against the State of Wyoming, its agencies, employees, and peace officers employed by the State and local governmental entities. The position provides an immediate opportunity for experience representing the State and individuals in lawsuits that arise under the Wyoming Governmental Claims Act and federal civil rights law. The work covers a broad scope of cases, including vehicle and workplace accidents, medical malpractice, police civil rights litigation, and inmate claims. The attorney in this position will engage in regular client communications, discovery, depositions, motions practice, and trials. The position involves appearances in both state and federal court trials and appellate practice before the Wyoming Supreme Court and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
This is truly an opportunity to develop and utilize litigation skills, handle interesting cases, and engage in law practice in a position that allows for professional growth and a healthy work-life balance.
This position has the ability to be located in either Cheyenne or Casper.
Human Resource Contact: Tara Gross (307) 777-7893 email@example.com
Essential Functions: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed at the job level.
The ability to analyze legal and factual issues and present issues clearly in either written or oral form. This position blends client counseling, regulatory and legislative analysis, and litigation in state and federal courts. In this position, the attorney should feel comfortable speaking before courts and administrative agencies, drafting letters, pleadings and briefs, and oral advocacy in various settings.
The ability to work independently and collaboratively with the Wyoming Attorney General's Office staff and State agency clients.Qualifications:Preferences/**agency Requirements:
- Preference may be given to applicants who have litigation experience involving tort claims or civil rights laws. Still, anyone interested in litigation and a desire for courtroom and trial experience is encouraged to apply. The successful applicant will be provided with training and mentorship to ensure that you have the resources and knowledge you need to succeed.
- Please ensure that you attach the following documents when submitting your state application:
- Professional Resume
- Law School Transcript
- Recent writing sample
- Please review your application for completeness and accuracy. Only complete and accurate applications will be reviewed for this position.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with substantive aspects of governmental claims act statutes, constitutional law, and federal civil rights statutes.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with state and federal rules of civil procedure.
- Knowledge of and/or experience in prosecuting or defending governmental claims and/or civil rights litigation in state or federal courts.
- Knowledge of and/or understanding of administrative law, the promulgation of administrative rules and regulations, and litigating contested case matters before administrative agencies.
Minimum Qualifications:Education:Necessary Special Requirements:Notes
- FLSA: Exempt
- Successful applicants are required to pass a criminal background investigation
- This position is at-will and is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the Attorney General (W.S. 0-1-608)