There is an immediate opening in the Land Use Division of the Municipal Law Branch for attorneys with experience in the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
Section: The Land Use Division is responsible for advising and defending the City on all matters in the planning, zoning and building and safety areas of the law. Attorneys in the Division advise the Departments of City Planning and Building and Safety, and decision makers on land use and building and safety matters, including the City Council, the City Planning Commission, Area Planning Commissions, the Board of Building and Safety and the Cultural Heritage Commission. Attorneys in the Division are responsible for defending the City against litigation, in both federal and state courts, challenging the City's land use and building permit decisions and actions, including involving writs of mandate, civil rights, constitutional challenges, and CEQA. Attorneys also draft ordinances involving amendments to the Zoning and Planning Code, general and specific plans, moratoriums and building and safety regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities: The attorney assigned to this position will primarily advise City staff, officials, and consultants on CEQA compliance and provide guidance on the preparation of defensible CEQA documents and findings for plans, zoning, building and safety ordinances, and development projects, as well as participate in or handle litigation, and draft ordinances.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience advising and/or litigating CEQA matters.
- Ability to deal effectively with public officials, department personnel and members of the public.
- Demonstrated strong research and writing skills in complex areas of law.
- Ability to work efficiently and make decisions practically and independently.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Licensed to practice law in all courts in the State of California and the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
The following qualifications are highly desirable:
- Experience reviewing and advising on EIRs, Mitigated Negative Declarations (MNDs), and statutory and categorical exemptions.
- Knowledge and familiarity with State Planning and Zoning Law and the Subdivision Map Act.
- Experience with administrative record issues and e-discovery.
Candidates are required to submit two (2) writing samples.
Appointment to this exempt position (non Civil-Service) will be subject to a two (2) year probationary period as required by Section 1050 of the City Charter. Successful completion of the two (2) year probationary period will result in tenure with the office.
How to Apply:
Attorneys interested in applying should
submit their cover letter specifying “DCA – LAND USE DIVISION (YOUR
CALIFORNIA BAR NUMBER)”, resume, and writing samples in ONE (1) PDF FILE
via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application process will remain open until filled.
Selected applicants will be invited to interview.
who applied for a DCA position in Land Use within the last 6 months
remain under consideration and do not need to reapply.
Conflict of Interest:
This position is designated Category 3 of the Angeles City Attorney’s Office Conflict of Interest Code.
Please mention that you saw this job on AttorneyJobsinUSA.com